Harris County adopted Municipal Extraterritorial Jurisdiction
Regulations for on-premise signs on May 17, 1988. A sign shall mean any outdoor display,
design, pictorial, or other representation which shall be so constructed, placed, attached,
painted, erected, fastened or manufactured in any manner whatsoever so that the same shall
be used for advertising. The term sign shall include the sign structure.
Permits are required prior to placement of
on-premise signs located within the unincorporated
area of Harris County.
These areas include scenic, toll road, and
extraterritorial jurisdiction that advertise or
identify a business (lease space build out,
change of occupancy, etc), person,
activity, goods, products or services primarily sold
or offered for sale on premises where the sign is
installed and maintained when such premises are used
for business purposes.
The construction of all Off-premise signage
shall be prohibited in Harris CountyQUALIFYING CRITERIA
Determine Review Requirements
The following signs shall require a Sign Permit:
- On-premise signs located in the unincorporated area of Harris County.
- Outdoor display sign.
- Any means of advertising for, or identifying a business, activity, or services.
- Banners exceeding 40 s.f. in area.
Up to 5 on-premise signs may be permitted for each business address.
The following signs do not require a Sign Permit:
- On-premise signs:
- A temporary ground sign 40 s.f. or less containing information concerning a building
or other structure under repair or construction or advertising the sale or rental of
- A temporary banner 40 s.f. or less displayed for 7 consecutive days in any 30 day period.
- Signs painted on glass surfaces, doors or windows.
- Government signs.
- Railroad signs.
- Legal notices and house numbers.
- Directional signs-less than 6 s.f. in size and less than 5' in height.
- Signs on motor vehicles not used for advertising.
- Provisional signs installed by a licensed sign
- Signs less than 200 s.f. in area painted on the face of a building, forming an integral
part of the structure, no higher than the roof line, and stating only the name of the
proprietor and the name of the building.
For all other exceptions please refer to Harris County Sign Regulations at
Unincorporated areas in Harris County include Scenic, Toll Road and Extraterritorial
This website provides for your convenience, a scenic area map, sign regulations,
applications and frequently asked questions. Please take a moment to share your ideas regarding the functionality
of the new website.
Submittal of applications on CD(.PDF) format will greatly expedite review & permitting of your application
To register for an online application, please contact Travis Meeks at 713-316-3536